Friday, August 19, 2011

Cross-training with a Triathlon

I admit it...I would be a run-only type of gal if I could. But I can't. And I shouldn't. So I don't (grudgingly). Study after study has shown the benefits of cross training and not running every day. But if you're like me, nothing - and I mean nothing! - beats the feeling after nice, long run!

As I enter my eighth month of pregnancy, I'm having to scale back the running (more like run-walking these days) and do more cross-training. It kills me...but I know it's good for my body and good for the babe as we enter the last two months of "marathon training."

One of the best ways runners can cross-train is with swimming and biking. I find this personally to be true - and also professionally as I just finished coordinating my largest special event of the year for Hutch Rec, the Salty Dog Triathlon (held last weekend!). I hear story after story of those run-only types who decide to take the plunge (literally) and add swimming and biking to their exercise routines. They start competing in triathlons (several of them do our Salty Dog) and have fallen in LOVE with the variation it brings to their workouts!

So, runners, I'd encourage you to step out of your comfort zone and test drive swimming and biking on your cross-training or easy days. You just might find a new event to train for!

No comments:

Post a Comment